Subtitles help your videos to reach a wider audience. It’s super easy to generate captions for Vimeo with Simon Says.
Vimeo's preferred caption/subtitle format is WebVTT.They also support SRT and SAMI files.
- Upload your final edited video file to Simon Says: if you have the ability to, we recommend removing any music and sound effects tracks as the accuracy of the AI will be better. Select your transcription language and click Transcribe. (You can translate to multiple languages later.) Use the free credit or fill in your payment details and click Let’s do this.
2. Edit any items in the generated transcript
If you are distributing your video to an international audience and want translated subtitles, see our article on translating with Simon Says here.
3. Export your files to a subtitle format supported by Vimeo (WebVTT, SRT, or SAMI) and then click Let’s do this
4. Unzip the file that has been downloaded to your computer to extract your subtitle file(s)
5. Open up your account on Vimeo and click Upload at the top right
6. Choose your upload method - local upload from your computer or use one of the cloud drive options on the right of the page
7. While your file is uploading, fill in a description of your video, select your viewing privacy settings, select the language, check whether you want the video to have a reviews page or not, add tags, and the content rating
8. Once the upload is complete, click on the green bar under the thumbnail to go the video conversion page
9. Once the conversion begins, you can leave it and Vimeo will send you an email when it's complete. Or you can upgrade to a paid account to skip waiting.
10. Once the video finishes converting, click on Settings under the video
11. Go to Subtitles under the Distribution tab on the left
12. Click the + next to Subtitles and captions and select the language of your caption/subtitle file, then select whether it is a subtitle or caption and click Choose file. Navigate to and select your downloaded caption/subtitle file from Simon Says.
13. Once the file uploads, click the button to the left of the caption filename to turn it on, click Save, then click on the video link above the video to view it
14. Click on CC to select a subtitle
Your caption/subtitle is now live!
To add other languages, follow steps 10-13
To start subtitling your videos, sign up to Simon Says today.